Eventually, down the track, all business owners discover that there just isn’t enough time for everything on their ‘To-do list’ – and there never will be. But it isn’t your job to try and do everything, no successful person does! What they do is focus on the genuinely important tasks – not just the urgent tasks – and ensure that those tasks get done, using time management, of course.
Brian Tracy explains one of the most important rules of personal effectiveness, the 10/90 rule, in his International Bestseller, ‘Eat that Frog!’. If you spend the first 10% of your time planning and organising your work before you begin, you will save as much as 90% of the time in getting the job done once you get started. Managing that first 10% is the most important part of becoming the Master of your time.
Here are a few tips on timely success:
- Categorise your tasks into ‘Important’ and ‘Urgent’ tasks. Urgent tasks are based on time, and need to be done straight away. Important tasks are the ones that will make a substantial difference to the value of your business. Once you have categorised your tasks, ensure that 60% of your time is spent on tasks that are important but not urgent.
- Use your 4 D’s by analysing what exactly needs to be done, delegated, deferred and dumped.
- Plan how these tasks will be completed, when and by who.
- Delegate the tasks to the right staff to ensure they get done.
- Ensure that you do the tasks that you have assigned to yourself through self-management.
- Do the toughest things first, and as Tracy says, eat the biggest and ugliest frog first, and you will have nothing worse to do that day. This stops procrastination.
Start with making a difference with the first 10% of your day and you will see the positive and efficient effect it will have on your business. Don’t forget that time management is about getting more things done effectively, not getting more things done.
If you want to start doing hard things the easy way, join us for our FREE 90-minute seminar. We want to share more tips on how you can get more time back in your life so that you can start living it.
Register here or call us on (02) 9146 4439.
After reading this blog, you should be well on your way to becoming Destination, Money, Delivery and Time Master. Now, your next challenge will be taking the next step towards building a better business. I’ll teach you that in my next blog, but for now…
“…The bad news is time flies; the good news is you’re the pilot…”